TOOLS & EQUIPMENT
BSE tools &
equipment increase efficiency of your plant while improving safety of the staff
and reducing the environmental impact.
engineering and continuous enhancement of BSE tools & equipment are based
on own operational experience at BSW and the feedback of customers worldwide,
resulting in highest availability, reliability and maintainability.
MEET THE SANDMAN®
In continuation of our strategy "The future is manless", the SandMan® is another step in this direction
It addresses two fundamental priorities on every ladle of EAF and integrated plants:
- Precise filling of the well block with well filler sand and therefore
- Enabling a better opening rate.
The filling of the well block is still done manually in most plants today and tracking for a process optimization is not possible without measurements.
This unique manipulator combines both of these aspects in a robust and space saving design.
The SandMan® pushes safety forward tremendously by removing a dangerous everyday task and keeping operators out of harm's way
- Automated filling process of well filler sand
- Precise dosing
- Exact placement of sand
- Temperature measurement of ladle bottom
- Visual camera inspection
- Self-standing control cabinet with data recording
- Safe operation from pulpit
- No manual sand dropping -> improved ergonomics
- Less sand consumption
- Improved opening rates -> no manual lancing -> no loss of sequence -> no downgrading
- Process standardization leads to higher efficiency
- Optimized positioning & tracking
- Tracking and analysis of potential errors
- Installed in January 2021 at BSW
- Well received by operators
- Opening rate has increased from 93.5% to 98.9% so far
- In 24hr operation since March
- Total cycle time of 60 seconds
- 20kg of well filler sand needed (107t ladle)
TAP HOLE MANIPULATOR (THM)
The future of EAF plants is manless. Therefore, the THM addresses two fundamental, regular tasks of every EAF plant with an EBT; the clearing of bulky items, and the cleaning from contamination and build up after tapping.
These steps unfortunately are still done manually in most plants today.
This unique pending tool that combines both of these functions is available only at Badische!
The THM pushes Safety forward tremendously by removing a dangerous everyday task
- Clearing of the EBT tap hole from debris and bulky items after tapping
- Cleaning of EBT tap hole with an oxygen blowing function
- Unique tool design and concept (patent pending)
- Robust design for minimum maintenance and maximum reliability
- Fully customizable for each EAF layout requirements
- Smart hydraulics, limiting overstress and potentials damages to the tap hole
- Maximum safety as part of the BSE's vision of a "manless" EAF operation
- Standardization leads to reduction in power-off time and imporves process consistency
Designed for HEAVY HEAT EXPOSURE
- Heat resistant materials
- Long-life bearings
- Water cooled lever
Download THM leaflet
Millenium Steel ISSUE 2020
Millenium Steel, the leading magazine for advanced process technology, has published an article on the THM in its 2020 issue. you can find it on page 66.
the electrical energy and adding chemical energy are major steps for maximum efficiency in EAF steel
The energy input concept by BSE represents a system family of sidewall and slag
door input devices for chemical energy, current conducting electrode arms,
hard- and software for measurement, control and analysis plus decades of
experience in EAF steel production.
A winning combination that can help you to get the
maximum performance out of your EAF and turn cold spots into "hot" production
VIRTUAL LANCE BURNER | VIRTUAL LANCE INJECTOR
injection tools by BSE are designed to reduce your production costs and enhance
- Sidewall and EBT mounted devices for
oxygen injection in melting and refining phase
- The VLB
(Virtual Lance Burner) runs with gas or oil
- The Tiltable VLB with vertical tilting motion provides different
injection angles to meet various process requirements
- NEW – The VLI (Virtual Lance Injector) achieves the shrouding effect without gas (only applicable for special furnace operations, e.g. hot metal)
- All devices are mounted in solid
water-cooled copper panels
- Easy handling and maintenance – e.g. pipe-in-pipe
concept allows quick and easy assembling / disassembling of the VLB / VLI
SOLID MATERIAL INJECTOR
oxygen solid material can be injected in order to allow foamy slag operation.
- Sidewall and EBT mounted injection lances
for various solid materials, e.g. carbon (CarbJet®), lime (LimeJet),
- State-of-the-art conveying system in cooperation with
LANCE MANIPULATOR CLASSIC
BSE is the
inventor and market leader for Lance Manipulators providing efficient, reliable
and safe operation.
- Injection of oxygen and solid materials
from the slag door with independently moving consumable lances
- Increase of oxygen efficiency and
- Wide range of metallurgical applications
- Foaming slag
- Horizontal stirring of steel bath
- Reliable injection as a result of
appropriate actuation technology
- Remote control from the operator room
LANCE MANIPULATOR LM.2
Manipulator LM.2 provides in one single device efficient injection of oxygen /
solid material plus safe temperature measuring / sample taking.
- Complete Lance Manipulator equipped with a
TempSamp unit for temperature measuring and sample taking on one single
- Ideal on locations with reduced space in
front of the EAF
- Reduction of tap-to-tap time due to temperature
measuring / sample taking without interruption of the furnace operation
LANCE MANIPULATOR LM.3
The proven BSE lance manipulator technology equipped with:
- Consumable lance unit
- TempSamp unit
- NEW - Burner unit
The new burner unit provides additional melting power (6 MW) for decreasing the electrical energy consumption.
- Operation with gas flame instead of pure oxygen avoids yield losses and over-oxidised slag
- Combination with sidewall injectors for homogeneous meltdown and with consumable lance unit for efficient refining
- Lowering entrapped air input
conducting electrode arms by BSE increase active power input, furnace
availability and overall productivity.
- Electrode arms for any kind of EAF and LF
featuring different material (copper/steel vs. aluminium) and basic
designs (monolithic vs. flange)
- Flange design for highest availability,
safety, maintainability and flexible use of electrode holders
- Tailor-made engineering results in highest
electrical efficiency, reliability and equipment lifetime
- Complementary solutions for further
performance improvement of the electrical system (e.g. electrode
MEASUREMENT & CONTROL
BSE offers a wide range of measurement & control tools serving as your "sixth sense" inside the furnace.
The hardware and software solutions help melters and managers with on-the-spot information, early problem detection and precise analysis in order to react immediately on upcoming troubles and to optimise furnace operation on a sustainable level.
The new BSE
MultiROB is the future tool for sustainable improvement of work safety in melt
- Implementation of a standard industrial
robot upgraded with special equipment and features for steel plant
- Installation at any kind of EAF, LF or
BOF. Easily adjustable to new situations
- Basic functions:
- Temperature measuring and sample taking (manual or automatic cartridge exchange)
- Tool exchange
- Camera inside furnace
- Wide range of further development options
TempSamp Manipulator (TSM) gives precise information about steel temperature
and quality while increasing the safety of operators considerably.
- Safe and easy operation from control room;
cartridge exchange at safe distance from furnace door
- No interruption of power-on cycle and
foaming slag practice during measurement / sample taking
- Measurement / sample taking always done
under the same conditions – reproducibility and reliability guaranteed
- Usage of standard cartridge sizes
DELAY RECORDING SYSTEM
The BSE Delay
Recording System (DRS) is a process analysis tool for steel plants that don’t
have a Level 2 automation system yet. It is operated by the melter at the
furnace and helps in the fight against delay times, thus providing a huge
potential for productivity increase.
- Allocation (and creation of awareness) of
small but frequent delays, whose causes / solutions are often considerably
- Increase of consistency – standardised
codes minimise subjective interpretations by operators and allow for
objective comparisons of facilities or periods
- Precise documentation of main-, setup-,
delay times and causers
SMART LEAKAGE DETECTOR
The BSE Smart Leakage Detector provides reliable, accurate and easy detection of all water leakages at the EAF.
- Increased safety and reduced risk of equipment damage
- Detection of small but dangerous water leakages (invisible with conventional systems)
- Integration into HMI system enables warning to the operator or forcing the EAF to stop
- Very high availability (no maintenance required)
- Database and trending tool for delay analysis and prevention
Clean and efficient!
the long standing know-how based on our own steel production, BSE provides
analysing tools, engineering and key components for complete offgas systems
that improve productivity and cost efficiency – along with strict compliance
with environmental legislations.
FLUID DYNAMIC MODEL
Dynamic Model (FDM) study helps to understand and improve the building ventilation
and working conditions.
scaled Plexiglas replica of your melt shop gives an easy, accurate and
economical way of simulating the inside shop conditions.
Dynamic Model is provided and performed by our subsidiary company BenderCorporation.
COMPUTATIONAL FLUID DYNAMICS
provides Computational Fluid Dynamic investigations to look into details of
critical items and applications for optimisation of mixing and distribution,
pressure drop and local exhaust hoods.
Fluid Dynamic guarantees a smooth engineering process and highest performance
of the designed dedusting systems.
EFFICIENT DEDUSTING CONTROL
only gain the maximum out of your offgas system, if you know what is happening
and if you have the tools to control it and adjust it to your needs!
necessity of utilising the installed offgas system equipment and the available
exhaust capacity call for an intelligent and efficient control system.
of the system is the BSE Efficient Dedusting Control (EDC) that collects all
information of the offgas system, analyses it and anticipates accordingly.
HIGH TEMPERATURE QUENCHING
our environment and your efficiency!
High Temperature Quenching (HTQ) system provides most rapid offgas cooling with
- Cooling of the gases from direct furnace
evacuation by injection of atomised water into a water spray chamber
- Fast quenching of the gases prevents
de-novo synthesis of Dioxin/Furans and reduces the total level of organic
- Low operating cost, lower pressure drop in
the DEC duct and less water-cooled ducts required